Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

#FrogsAndSnails

 Sugar and spice and everything nice; that's what little girls are made of.  Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails; that's what little boys are made of.  So, the sayings go.  Our daughter was our first born and she was the most beautiful thing to us. She was pure sugar and spice.  We found such joy watching her grow up and did a little bit of catering to her.

When our second one was born, I remember crying as my obstetrician shared this news to me as she placed a beautiful healthy baby boy in my arms.  She was shocked.   "Why are you crying?" she asked.  "I never expected a boy." I replied, "I'm from a family of all girls."  She laughed.  That son was only the first of three more.  I need not have worried about having only girls, but when I brought number four home from the hospital, our daughter got mad at me.  "Why did you give me another brother?  I wanted a sister."  She had had enough of frogs and snails.

Yes, sisters are wonderful and I did feel sorry for our daughter, that she did not have that lovely experience that I had growing up.  The memories I have of my sister and I sleeping in a double bed and struggling over space and pulling covers from one another are special.  She was the 'sugar' and I was the 'spice' in our family.  She still is and I love her dearly.

"Children are a heritage of the Lord."  Psalm 127:3  "Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."  Psalm 127:7

Whether it be frogs and snails or sugar and spice, we are gifted with precious children and the Bible urges us to "bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." 

JESUS LOVES THE LITTLE CHILDREN, ALL THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD.  RED AND YELLOW, BLACK AND WHITE. THEY ARE PRECIOUS IN HIS SIGHT. JESUS LOVES THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD.



No comments: