Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

#Anticipation

My dear husband was really good at surprises. We were dating and I lived in the nurses quarters of the hospital where I worked and it was a very hot summer. There was no air conditioning in these quarters. One day he walked, maybe three miles, from his home carrying a heavy circulating fan to bring to me so I wouldn't be miserable. I had not asked for it. I knew nothing about this fan until he presented it to me. I was struck by his care for me.

Years later, after marriage and kids were grown, he surprised me again. There were other times in between, but this time was notable. We were out of town for a wedding and the family gathered there gave him the opportunity for expert advice for which computer to get me. I had not asked for a new computer, but he had noticed some frustration on my part and had saved some money to buy me a new one. I don't know how he managed to save enough to pay for one, because our finances were snug and we kept close track of spending. I was totally surprised and thrilled that he had been planning this for me.

Anticipation means - a prior action that takes into account or forestalls or plans a later action. The prior action in my husband's case is love and that love led him to plan an action for the right time.

Where there is deep love, there is great delight in pleasing the one loved. Simply anticipating the delight created by unexpected pleasures given to the loved one is worth the cost.

Jesus is the lover of our soul and He takes great delight in giving. He knows us so well and has plans for  the exact surprises to please us at just the right time. His love is perfect and pure and selfless and by all accounts this love deserves a response. It should ignite a passion in the recipient as we become aware of so great a love. It should cause us to want to please Him.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
                                                          John 15:9-11


No comments: