Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

#Motherhood!

It was a hot July day and I was barefoot, on my hands and knees, scrubbing my kitchen floor. With kids running in and out the back door all day, the floor constantly needed scrubbing. A knock came on the door with a neighbor telling me that my kids were in a group up on the knoll playing with matches. I immediately dropped everything and went running out to find them. There was much clover in the grass and my bare feet stepped on bees as I ran. I came back with my kids and having  four or five bee stings swelling on the bottom of both of my feet!

It was early in September and I was driving my Volkswagen Fastback to the university where my son was beginning his freshman year. He had won a Naval ROTC Scholarship and needed a special calculator that had arrived late and I was delivering it. On the way back home, this little car began making large thumping noised and the cylinders froze up. I slowed to a stop some sixty-miles away from home back in the days of no cell phones and walked to the nearest gas station!

It was in November in cold, snowy, bad roads Wisconsin. We were heading to Minnesota to see our son and his wife and new born first child. The roads were slippery as we headed north and my husband, being wise and cautious, decided to turn back. We did, but I, not being so wise or cautious and feeling a great need to go see my new grandson, decided to go all by myself. It is a six hour drive even in good weather, but I made the trip and back home again, safely and got to see my kids!

It was after a heartbreak that my daughter decided to learn to drive. She had not taken Driver's Ed and was, now, needing to get to her job. We went to the nice quiet cemetery and I sat in the passenger's seat as she practiced driving on the winding, narrow roads amongst the many tombstones. She learned to back up and when to put on her brakes and how to control the steering wheel as I learned more of what a wonderful daughter I had. We had been at odds for a while and now we were becoming best friends and it was a wonderful time!

It was in December with all the Christmas decorations scattered over the house. I was at the dining room table with my portable sewing machine sewing away when my two year old came to me with nose running and tears creeping down his cheeks. I got a tissue to wipe his nose and he winced. I checked his nose and found a plastic bead taken from an artificial poinsettia decoration was stuck way up one nostril. I could not remove it, so, off to the doctors and forget about sewing!

The joys of motherhood cannot be weighed! Children are a gift from God! Blessed is the man whose quiver is full!


No comments: