Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

#DamnTheTorpedos

David Farragut was in command of the Union Fleet in Mobile Bay, Alabama during the Civil War. The year was 1863. This bay was well guarded with mines (called torpedoes) scattered in the water and the fort on land, with cannons. The Union ships moved forward, but one was destroyed by a torpedo and the rest stopped, afraid to go further.  That is when David Farragut took charge and demanded to his crew, "Damn the torpedoes!!! Full speed ahead." He took his ship through the danger and the others followed and after a hard fought battle, succeeded.

I have always been the kind of girl that thought the way David Farragut did. I see opportunities and scarcely consider the problems that might arise. It has most always been "full speed ahead". It has been so easy for me to say 'yes'. If hindrances come, I will figure it out then was my attitude. I don't like waste, whether time or money or food and taking time to ponder was a waste.

Somehow, I have gotten through the waters filled with torpedoes with just small mishaps. But, aging has ways of slowing people down. My balance isn't what it once was and my strength isn't either. Now, I have to make sure I have good footing before I go full speed ahead. I still go full speed ahead, just a little slower.

But God!! I do love that, "But God", because it indicates His involvement. There were a couple of 'sticky' incidences in my life recently that gave me pause. Then a devotion came in my e-mail that stood out like a bolt of lightening. The title of this devotion was "Stand Still". After reading it, I knew that God had planned for this to be in my e-mail box at this time just for me. I am to stand still!! I am no longer to go full speed ahead, I am to stand still.

Oh, I am not frozen in place physically, but in the spiritual realm, I am, at this time, to stand still.
Moses told 600,000 Jews at the Red Sea to "Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord."  Jahaziel told all Judah when armies were coming against them, "Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord." Then David wrote in the Psalm 46:10 "Cease striving and know that I am God." "I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me up...and set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; many will see and fear and will trust in the Lord." Psalm 10:1-3

Still standing!! and singing!!

No comments: