Search This Blog

Saturday, June 22, 2019

#SecondNature

When you have made an effort to form a habit and it gets to the point that it becomes 'second nature', you don't even have to think about it. It just takes over.

Last night about 9:00 my phone rang. I have had so many robo calls that I, sometimes, don't pay close attention. I just let it ring. I was standing close to the phone and decided to answer. It was my son and he rarely calls me, so, I was concerned. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Mom, I have lost my truck key. I have been searching the parking lot and haven't found it." He had gotten off work and was heading home. "Are you up to driving here?"

He knew the trepidation I felt about driving down a busy four lane highway in the dark to a place I had never been and asked if I was up to it. Barley a second went by and I answered, "Where is your spare key?" After following his instructions and finding the spare, I headed to my youngest son's room to ask him to go with me and began changing shoes for driving. The phone rang again and "I found it." hit my ears. "Hallelujah!" I exclaimed.

Almost immediately God held up His little mirror before me to allow me to see something important.
I saw that my first instinct was to get busy and help. I saw that my first instinct was NOT to turn to God and seek His help. I have been really trying, especially at work, to draw God into my time more frequently. God, with His little mirror showed me that I have to be more intentional in order to form the second nature that automatically takes over all the time.

If your smart-phone is on the dash and shows the traffic conditions ahead and just an occasional glance will tell you what to avoid, you would keep glancing. It would become second nature to ensure you of a safer trip. God does, so, want to be involved in our lives. He wants us to keep glancing at Him. I could have immediately started praying for the keys to be found, but, I started changing my shoes!  But, God, who knows me so well, just let me be me for a few seconds and then held up His little mirror to show me, ME.