Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

#Negligence

The very special calculator had been delivered. Our son had been accepted into Marquette on an NROTC Scholarship and was studying engineering. He was deposited at school with the calculator on order. A few days later it came and I hurried the hour drive to get it to him. I was on my way home when an awful knocking noise emoted from my Volkswagen. I managed to get out of the city's overpasses and traffic filled highways on to the highway home when my little car pooped out. I could see the service station just a few yards away, so I started walking to call my husband and share the bad news.

It was pure negligence that caused the death of my Volkswagen. I had not read the manual. I had not checked the oil, which was in the back of the car. The engine locked up and I realized it was my fault. This little car was quite special to me. It was my first very own car and it got a lot of use. I had begun to depend on it and by my carelessness I had caused it's demise.

The book of Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians. These people were Jews by birth and belief, but had heard the Good News and had turned to Jesus as their Messiah. The second chapter of the book of Hebrews gives a stern warning to not neglect so great a Salvation. It must be possible to believers to neglect their salvation or the idea of neglect would not have been mentioned.

How can Salvation be neglected?  Just like me as I enjoyed the mobility and convenience of my very own car, but didn't read the manual and went on my merry old way, I was neglecting doing the necessary things.

Jesus paid dearly for us to have a right relationship with His Heavenly Father. We should enjoy the freedom and hope it gives us, but we should be so appreciative of the cost that we make sure to take really good care of the gift given us. We should read the manual, even study it and memorize portions, that we "may not sin against" Him. We definitely should not take it for granted. There has been too much invested for us that is so precious, that our being carelessness about it should cause some consequences and not so pleasant ones, at that.

Can't you see that Father God deserves our attention? Can't you understand that appreciating His words and thoughts is a normal response of anyone who has escaped the consequences due them because of His intervention. Can't you see that neglecting the manual is the height of pride?

No comments: