Search This Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2018

#TheLittleStory

The little shop around the corner in Leesburg, Virginia, is almost exactly like the one in the movie "The Little Shop Around The Corner", except instead of carrying leather goods, it carries books and other found things. The day was overcast and rainy and not too many shoes were walking on the cobblestone sidewalks.  The four walls of the front room fitted with shelves from ceiling to floor held  a great variety of books and this place was given to me for that day to display my book and sign any copies that buyers might want signed. A small red checkered table cloth was placed on the shelf provided for my books and next to them, a plate of Christmas cookies and a small vase with a red velvet poinsettia. All was ready for shoppers.

A young couple came in under a big umbrella and began looking around trying to decide which way to go. After a few minutes window shopping in the other rooms, they came into 'my' room and glanced over at the shelf where my books were and the cookies. I offered them a cookie and both said "thank you" as they reached for one. Then they picked up a copy of  The Treasure Is The Trip and began checking out the back cover. "I love this", said she and then I asked if she would like to get one. I had not tried to sell a book all morning when people came looking, because I had prayed many times before I arrived that the Lord would bring the right ones to want my book and, so far, no one impressed me that they were seriously interested, till now.

After she said yes, I took the book out of her hand and asked her name and wrote the date and a short sentence and signed it and gave it back to her. She then went on to tell me that they had gotten engaged in that very room a while back and she had taken a missions trip, gone for six months, and it was a test to see how committed their relationship was. Stronger than ever, they were now planning on their wedding later this month. Such a joy weld up in me as she responded with a little thrill that I had prayed for the right ones to want my book. We hugged as we said goodbye and I said "God Bless you."

There were a few more shoppers to visit and a very special couple from my former church who bought some books to give away and it kept raining. The shoppers became fewer in number and I wanted to get back home before dark, so I began packing up. It was a perfect day for my first book signing event. God is so good.

No comments: