Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

#Leftovers

Ruth had demonstrated real character after her husband had died by remaining loyal to her mother-in-law. She had been raised in an idol worshiping country and I am sure those practices had influenced her life, but she must have seen a real difference in her husband's family from others in her community. The book of Ruth doesn't share how long she had been married to Naomi's son before death took him and her father-in-law. The story just shares that she had decided to keep involved in Naomi's life and when Naomi decided to return home to Judea, Ruth determined to go with her, leaving all that was familiar, family, friends and culture.

These were two homeless, jobless, very alone women and she had to find work to sustain them. Her only recourse was to become a reaper and not even an employed one, but someone allowed by custom to follow the hired reapers and glean the leftovers. She was noticed by Boaz, the owner of the farm and when he inquired about her, he was impressed and told her, "May the Lord reward your work, and your wages be full from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to seek refuge." Ruth 2:12  She was richly rewarded for later she married Boaz and became the great grandmother of King David.

Most of the principles I hold today have been gleaned from those who have spent years studying. I have been so fortunate to sit under the ministry of great Bible teachers and expositors. I take notes. The things that I hear that strike a cord with me, I write down and I may not ever return to that paper, but it is there in black and white and it is also in my heart. God cannot bring to your mind the things that haven't been put there. I do research, occasionally, but I have been reading the Bible daily for over twenty years. I have read it through in a year over fifteen times and I love the One Year Chronological Bible. I read because I need to be reminded of God's goodness when my days lack luster. I need to be reminded of God's faithful involvement in the lives of those who trust Him when my questions arise. I need to hear directly from God, Himself. There is NO substitute for God's Word and there is NO substitute for God's Word being in your head.

No comments: