Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

#BoltsAndNuts

The little red arm that is supposed to extend from the side of the mail box was loosely hanging down, almost ready to fall off. I bent over and started scrounging around in the grass below the box hoping to find the bolt. After a few minutes, in the hot day, I decided it was hopeless. So, I opened the box and searched the dark interior for a nut to attach to the remaining bolt and secure it tightly. Success!!

There have been times when I have had a 'come-apart' and lost 'it'. I remember mopping a dirty kitchen floor on my hands and knees when the children were young and quite sloppy and just when I finished and took a proud look around, immediately someone would spill something wet and sugary and I would start screaming. I remember times someone would say something hurtful to me and I would either retort a harsh word back or sulk and feel sorry for myself.

When we have a 'come-apart' it is because something really has come apart in our attitude. the nut of self has lost the bolt of control. Self-control holds us together under the worst of circumstances. One facet of the character of Christ is self-control. Reflecting on the scourging that He went through on the day of His crucifixion and witnessing His self-control, cuts me to the core. A whip or a cat-o-tails can shred a back like an electric paper shredder. It can cut through clothing and rip skin to the bone and Jesus received thirty-nine of the lashes on His back. Not one word of rebuke came from His mouth, only "Father, forgive them for they know not what they are doing." was uttered some moments later as He hung on that wooden cross.

One of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control. In our natural state we do tongue lashings and outbursts of anger, but when (and IF) we are living by the Spirit, we will demonstrate self-control.

"But, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, SELF-CONTROL; against such things there is no law."  Galatians 5:22,23


No comments: