Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2018

#Walking

Today is an absolutely lovely day and I couldn't resist the urge to go for a walk. It is about three quarters of  mile from our house around the two blocks and down a long block and around the corner past the club house where the pond and pool and play ground are and down one last long block back to our house.  It takes me about 20 minutes to make the circle.

I was reminded of long walks my grandmother and I would take when I was a child.  She was born in 1865 was about 70 when her husband died and she came to live with my mother and father.  Her husband had been a farmer and she loved to garden.  I must have gotten my love of growing things from her, because I don't remember my mother growing anything.  Her sister lived a little distance away from our home and she would invite me to go visit my aunt with her and holding hands, we would walk.

She was a remarkable woman and I believe God is still answering the prayers she prayed for me.  She didn't talk too much and didn't have much education, but she taught me much.  Tho I was left handed, she taught me how to crochet and how to sew on the old treadle sewing machine and how to make chow-chow and how to de-feather a chicken.  I still have quilts she made by hand and she sewed many a dress for me and my sisters.  Everything she cooked was from scratch - four layer lemon iced cakes and boiled custard at Christmas and fried okra.

I remember the switching she gave me after catching me up in the tree in our back yard and I never tried that again.  I am ever grateful that she was in my life.

It is my hope that I would have the positive influence on my grandchildren's lives that she had on mine.


No comments: