Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

#MasterGardner

Gardenias and Begonias and Geraniums and African Violets were just a part of the array of flowers that my grandmother kept growing around my home. She had been a farmer's wife and had a 'green thumb', if anyone did. I watched her give tender loving care to her little garden on our screened-in side porch over the years and developed a love for gardening from her.

When my husband and I bought our home, the front yard had been sodded, but the back yard was just dirt - no bushes, no trees, no grass and definitely no flowers. First thing we did was to plant grass seed and as that began to be a lawn, it was much better than mud, but it was boring. I, so wanted a colorful, attractive back yard and considered my options. I knew it would take money, which we didn't have a whole of to spend unnecessarily, and it would take time, which I had more of than money and it would take work, which I am not opposed to do. The little knowledge I had taken in from my grandmother was totally inadequate for my back yard. I could not brag about my 'green thumb'.

After several years of not knowing the difference between a weed and a flower or what grew best in sun or shade or which fertilizer to use, I decided to attend the Master Gardner's class offered at the local Rotary Gardens. It was a three months class, one night a week and I did learn much, especially where to go to find information, but I could not call myself a Master Gardner. Head knowledge does not make one a Master Gardner. Head knowledge plus experience can make one a Master Gardner.

The same it true in regards to a Christian. Head knowledge of the Bible does not make one a Christian. One can recite verses from memory and explain the difference between predestination and free-will and know exactly where to find most any verse in the Bible, and, if a Christian, still be a baby Christian. Experience is a requirement and experience is gained by believing what the Bible says and putting it into action in one's own life. You can grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ by studying His Word, believing His word and living by His Word.It is the combination of all three activities that work, not just one or even two.

No comments: