Search This Blog

Friday, February 15, 2019

#Reminders

When I was a teenager my grandmother was constantly reminding me to sit up straight. She would watch me walking and say, "hold your head up" or "put your shoulders back" or "stop slouching". I must have developed really bad posture and she was not going to have me continue that way.

Bad posture is not only unattractive, it is not good your your internal organs and I find that as you age your center of gravity changes and it becomes easier to hunch over. Now, I am constantly reminding myself to stand up straight, to relax my neck muscles and to hold my tummy in.

We all need reminders because we get bombarded with unwanted, un-requested stuff  all the time and can easily loose sight of the normal. For instance, our relationship with the important people in our life can get sidetracked as we deal with the trash. It takes time to clean out those e-mails that invade our location. It takes time to just keep the kitchen clean. It takes time to go through all the snail-mail to decide what to pitch and what to save and where to keep all the saved stuff.

As our days click off the minutes and we busy ourselves with the small and big problems, we can forget about God's presence. We need reminders to tap our shoulder and cause us to bring God back into the moment. He has indicated that He is seriously involved in the minute details of our lives and has declared that we are to talk to Him about everything. It's not that we don't care, we just get involved and forget and in doing so, we loose out on the wonderful  possibilities of sharing with the one that loves us the most.

I have decided that each time I chasten myself about my posture is a good time to think about God. This practice will be a pretty regular reminder to me as I can 'kill two birds with one stone'. If you catch me walking and smiling at the same time, you will know that I just tapped myself on the shoulder to remind me to walk with my head held high and my shoulders back and my tummy in and am talking with God at the moment.

No comments: