Search This Blog

Saturday, April 7, 2018

#Cars,Cats&Toasters

Two weeks ago we had our third snow of about three inches and I let my son take my car to work, since it was safer to drive in the snow than his. He put the brake on when he parked in our sloping drive. The next morning I warmed the car and remembered to release the brake and took off. As I rounded the corner I heard this awful sound like a flat tire. No indicator lights were on, but I pulled over to check the tires. Nothing looked wrong but the sound continued as I pulled into the parking lot at work. I prayed that God would take care of it and get me home safely. He did and the sound disappeared. It might have been frozen snow packed near the wheel. I love my car and besides reading the instruction book when new, I have gotten to know it. I know how it will turn at corners and respond to pressing on the accelerator and how hard to press my foot on the brake. I have great delight in my car. I take care of the maintenance regularly and try to keep it clean so I can enjoy it for a long time.
I know my cat, Sophie, and crack the door only a little bit to check if she is there first, because I know she will dart out if given the slightest chance. She loves to have her chin scratched and doesn't care to have her tummy scratched. I have gotten to know her and I have gotten to know my toaster. I learned which setting works best for bagels and which for bread. I paid attention after I burnt some toast to make sure the settings were correct.
Remember that song - "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you. Getting to like you and hope you like me"? How important is getting to know God, to you? There are good reasons for getting to know your Creator. Just as I learned about burnt toast or gotten scratched by Sophie because I scratched her tummy, there are consequences for not knowing God. There are serious consequences that impact your life now and eternally. God has said, "Delight yourself in Me and I will give you the desires of your heart." That in itself was enough for me to start trying to get to know Him, by reading His word and checking out how He was involved in Abraham's and Joseph's and David's lives and by appreciating His creativity and how He answers prayers. I have just begun to scratch the surface, since He is infinite and, fortunately, I will have eternity to get to know Him better and delight in Him.

No comments: