Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

#Work

Work is a four letter word and sometimes we think of it as a four letter word. Yet, work is good for us. In the Genesis account after man and woman chose to disobey God, God had something to say and it ended up as curses. He cursed the serpent because of his deceiving the first humans by subjecting this reptile to slithering on its belly all the days of its life. He cursed the ground from which food would grow by consigning thorns and thistles to be prevalent. He then foretold that woman would suffer much pain in childbirth and that man would be working so hard to feed himself and his family that he would eat his bread with sweat on his brow. So, we come to the conclusion that work is the curse, but it isn't. Work is the solution to the curse.

I have worked most of my life and some of it was labor. I have cleaned, regularly, a house that held a family of seven and cooked, regularly, for those seven. I have scrubbed and swept and washed and ironed and even canned and knitted and sewed for my family. Sometimes I thought God had said those words in Genesis out of revenge, to get even for what Adam and Eve did, but, I have come to appreciate work. It is a good thing for humans to be busy and active and productive and creative and moving. It saves us from boredom and lethargy and helps keep us healthy. I am very thankful for my job and at the age of 82 when many think it is the time to be retired, I am working and really grateful for someone wanting my skills and gifts and are willing to pay me for these. I plan to die with my 'boots' on.

No comments: