Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2018

#IsChurchImportant

My dad thought going to church was so important that he would take his family to church even if we had to walk. I do not remember why we walked or for how many Sundays we walked, but I do remember walking with my mother and grandmother and sisters, Bible in hand, beside my dad. It wasn't a short distance either, seven or eight blocks. Perhaps the car was broken down or maybe we did not even have a car for a while, so we walked there and back, to Sunday School and following worship services.

It was there that I memorized scripture verses and learned about Joseph and his many colored coat and about David killing the giant with a sling and stone and about Daniel in the lion's den. I learned to pray and sing really old hymns, like Amazing Grace. Not only did being there teach me so much, but the actual dedication of my dad to make sure we got there did a marvelous thing for my respecting the importance of church attendance.

Jesus died for the church, His bride, as it is called in the New Testament. The church was really important to Him. If it was that important to Him, it should be so with us. Getting up on a Sunday morning and getting ready to meet with God and His people should elicit an excitement and make us want to look our best to worship the King of Kings.


Our getting there with Bible in  hand also speaks volumes to our neighbors and who can tell if God will use our dedication to help others see what they should be doing on a Sunday morning. The writer of Hebrews tells his readers 'to not forsake the assembling of ourselves, as with the way of some'. There must have been some 'I'm saved and going to heaven and that's all I care about' believers even way back in the first century. Taking the family on a picnic or to the Colosseum for the game of the day would work if it was rare, but frequently takes away the importance of church.

See you in church, Sunday.

No comments: