Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2018

#LearningToDance

Each era has its' own distinctive form of dance. I grew up in the 40's when the Big Band Sound was popular and I loved to do the jitter-bug. I still love that music and I could probably do the jitter-bug if there was anyone around that would dance with me. Then there was jazz and slow-dance music before be-bop and I really have no idea what they are dancing to today.

Slow dancing requires some leadership.He puts his right arm around her waist and she places her left hand on his shoulder and his left hand holds her right hand and they become one unit. He directs her using a bit of pressure with his fingers on her waist and guides with his left hand. He is leading and she is cooperating and following and they move in unison, gracefully to the rhythm of the music.

My feet kept getting in the way. When I danced slow-dance, I was nervous and not anticipating or being sensitive to the small directions and we were not quite a unit. It was not pretty. I needed to relax and trust my leader. I needed to learn to forget about what others were thinking and focus on my partner.

Marriage should be like a couple dancing. Husbands, God designed to lead and wives, to follow. There is no dictatorship in dancing and no resistance; he is leading and she is following and they are moving gracefully to the music. God said that it was not good for man to be alone and He created a woman, equal and compatible with man. She completed him and together they become one unit. Each one wants to make the other one look good and together they watch out for the good of the unit.

Submission is an OK thing in marriage. It doesn't take away anything from the person when the good of the unit is more important than the good of one half of the whole. Leading by dictating does not work because there are equals in the unit and respect rules out treating another as subservient. In fact, she has real value, she has a way of seeing things that he doesn't have and in not appreciating what she has to offer is handicapping him and the unit.

There are a lot of 'but, what ifs' that should be addressed in this dance and I hope you bring them up in the comments of this blog, so we can talk about some of them.









No comments: