Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

#WannaGetSmarter

There is a Rewards Program where I work as a cashier and it all hinges on a customer's phone number. This program is a good thing because points earned turn into cash that can be used against a future purchase. Most people who come by my cash register have signed up and most remember to post their phone number as I start scanning their purchases. Some, do not remember and I remind them and some don't even remember their own phone number! There are not a just few who go to their purse or pocket and pull out their phone to look up their own number.

It makes me wonder what condition their brain is in. I do know that if you do not use your arm or leg muscles they will atrophy over time. My son reminds me to exercise so I don't get stiff and weak and I have a routine I do with some light weights. I say no to the bagger at the grocery when he asks me if I need help taking my groceries out to the car. I need the exercise. Yes, I will be celebrating my 83rd birthday in a couple of months and I do look elderly, but I am not going to take the easy route and get weaker from lack of use. No, I defy weakness!

Back to the brain after that bunny rabbit chase. Bill Gothard, at a seminar I attended in Chicago, told of his poor grades in elementary school and a good teacher who had noticed this suggested that he memorize scripture and see if working his brain might make a difference. It did and remarkably, his grades improved. The brain needs a work-out every day just as your arm and leg and heart muscles need to work-out.

The organizations I belonged to as a child had us regularly memorizing Scripture and to this day they are there and come to my mind. Even hymns I sang over and over again and were memorizing as I sang, come to my mind. It is wonderful. I challenge each of you to memorize just one verse a week  or, maybe, make it one verse a month, if your brain can't take it weekly. I challenge myself, also, because it has been a while since I did that.


No comments: