Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2018

#TheSmartPhone

So many people walk around with their heads down and thumbs moving across the small keyboard and they are smart as long as they have their phone, but what are they missing? No one ever could believe, when I was growing up that you could put your phone in your back pocket. Our phones were connected to the wall and were only used to talk with another person. We had to be smart without a phone and when we walked, out heads were up and watching people pass by and saying Hello and waving to others across the street and window shopping. Today, people are missing making friends with strangers on the sidewalk and seeing the great sale going on in the little shop around the corner.

Several times I have asked my son a question about something in history or some place or a quote and he will tell me to wait a second while he locates his smarts and then he will give me the answer. In seconds he can download so much information that would take hours looking it up in a library. It is wonderful and beneficial in so many ways, but there are consequences built in this device.

Perhaps you can download the entire Bible on your phone and have a quiet time while driving, but how much time is spent talking to God via smart phone and how much time does moving your thumbs around on your phone take away from actual praying? I do not own a smart phone and there are times I really wish I had one, but if I ever get one, I am going to make sure that I keep balance and moderation in my use of it.

A phone conversation was my first introduction to my husband. I was living in the nurses quarters of the hospital while I worked my way through college and the phone rang one evening and we talked for at least two hours. He had gotten my name from a friend who also told him where I lived and without ever seeing him, I got to know him by the phone. The story is in my book, "The Treasure is the Trip" which can be found at www.thetreasureisthetrip.com, if you are interested in how it turned out. So, I do believe in phones, but, please don't let owning one replace time spent developing your relationship with God.


No comments: