Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

#OppositesAttrack


Falling in love with someone who is so opposite to you can be exciting and wonderful. Living with someone who is so opposite to you can be challenging and wonderful. My husband and I were quite opposite to each other. Well, he was a man and I was a woman and you can't get more opposite than that and that was wonderful. He was a born salesman and I was a born buyer and that was pretty wonderful, also. He was a thinker and I was more intuitive and spontaneous and that sometimes made life exciting. He loved to study. I loved to read. He loved football. Well, what can I say?

He was detailed and double checked everything and I assumed stuff. My casualness caused him deep concerns. It went so across his grain. I am sure he often thought I was too carefree, too positive and not living in the real world. He wanted to write a book on the Power of Negative Thinking because he could see that I needed to think more negatively and there were lots of others in the world just like me.

Of course, there were arguments because he was so sure he was right and I had to defend my point of view. There were lots of times when we philosophized for hours and just shared opinions. My own thinking became sharper because of the time we spent garnering from each others' minds and I am so thankful that we came to appreciate each others differences and enjoy the broadening process.

He was the one who brought up conversations around the dinner table most every night that helped our kids think about subjects like politics, world views, spiritual things and football. We had lively times around the dining room table with all seven minds contributing. Both of us loved music and he was the one who put the needle on the long playing record of the Messiah on Sunday mornings as we were getting ready for Sunday School. I would not have thought of that. I was busy helping the kids get it all together and putting the finishing touches on dinner in the oven to be ready after church.

There were four things that my dear husband could cook. He could make coffee and popcorn and put a frozen pizza and refridgerator canned biscuits in the oven and his taste for food was rather limited compared to mine. He loved to have a pizza ready for me when I got home from work on Fridays and he loved to make our breakfast of biscuits on Saturday mornings. Personally, I would have preferred something less fattening, but I loved him and did not want to disappoint him.

Both of us changed over the years and somehow became more alike and could finish each other's sentences and knew what each other was thinking most of the time, and it still was wonderful and exciting yet in a different way than when we just getting to know each other.

As of September this year he will have been gone from me and with his Father God for four years.














No comments: