Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

#PrayerMeeting

The middle of the week and it is a day set aside for prayer meeting. There are many memories of church attendance when I was a kid - it was twice on Sunday and once in the middle of the week. On Sunday mornings we were there for Sunday School first where we had quarterlies that held lessons in the Bible for thirteen weeks, a quarter, and we were supposed to have read them before Sunday. The teacher then expounded on the lesson and gave an application. There was also a memory verse we were supposed to have put to memory.

After Bible Study we then proceeded to worship services in the auditorium where we sang hymns and listened to the choir which had practiced a special piece of music. The offering was taken and the sermon was delivered. Then the morning's meeting was over and time to go home and eat a big lunch and rest or play or visit relatives before the evening's services began. Training Union was what the evening meeting was known by, not so formal as Sunday School, but giving us training on being a member of a church and after that was another worship service where a sermon was preached.

That was the normal, regular life I lived for 18 years with the middle of the week prayer meeting included in this routine. Our youth groups met on Wednesday night while the adults met for payer. These youth groups had activities and lessons on missionaries and lots of memorizing of Scripture. These verses are still in my head after all the years that have gone by and it is so fortunate for me because they come to my mind every single day. I am so very thankful for all the Bible I was exposed to while I was growing up and all the sermons I heard.

Today I went to Little River Baptist Church's mid-week prayer meeting.We had seven attending and a list of people who had needs - some physical, some financial, some emotional, hurt bodies and marriages - needs that only God can take care of. So, we prayed.

Afterwards, a new friend asked me if I had any copies of my book, "The Treasure is the Trip" in my car. I did. She had already purchased one earlier and had given it to her son, who in turn, had sent it to a friend in prison and he wanted a copy for himself. I was touched and thrilled to think that someone had considered my little book something that a person in prison could be helped by. I cannot think of anything of greater significance, other than prayer, than for one's words to be used to help others. What are we here for?








No comments: