Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2018

#Choices

We had been married several years and our family had grown and time and energy was devoted to more than each other. You know how it gets - a quick kiss goodbye or hello and a 'I love you' as we pass each other on our separate ways. The relationship is kinda taken for granted.
I remember one day I felt I needed a little more heart in the 'I love you', so I must have made a comment that caused my husband to respond with, "Honey, I choose you every day." That was so wonderful to hear and it has stuck in my memory. Even when I was unlovely, even when I looked a mess, he chose me every day.
It reminds me of the passage in Philippians 2:6-8 talking about Jesus being equal with God and choosing to humble Himself even to the point of death on the cross. He chose to leave a perfect place and all that goes with it to come to an imperfect world and suffer and die because that was the only thing that would work to keep those He loved from perishing. He chose to become what we were and suffer the consequences so we could become what He was and enjoy the benefits.
And 1 Peter 2:21 tells us to follow Jesus' example, to choose to humble ourselves. The third chapter tells wives and husbands how this should play out in every day life. Wives are to be submissive to their own husbands and develop a gentle and quiet spirit, trusting God, and husbands were told to live in an understanding way with their wives. It takes patience to be understanding, but patience is love in waiting.
The most bothersome thing to women is the submissive part and the most bothersome thing to men is the understanding women part. We can talk more about this later.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

You are a good writer Pat!!!